Friday, June 29, 2012

Refreshing Blueberry Tart

So, who loves blueberries?? I know I do. I was wanting to make a blueberry dessert, but didn't want a hot one since it's been so hot outside. So a Blueberry Tart was the perfect dessert to make.

First, you need a baked tart. I used Smitten Kitchen's "Great Unshrinkable Sweet Tart Shell" recipe. It eliminates the need for pie weights, and was SO yummy. If you don't have time to make your own shell, I'm pretty sure you can buy the frozen version.

There are 2 layers that will go in the tart.

 For the first layer, mix 6 tablespoons of softened cream cheese (that's 3 oz. so you don't have to look it up like I did :) ), with 1/4 c sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Once it is mixed (I just used a spoon and it mixed well) spread it in the bottom of the tart shell.

Now, for the blueberry part! Wash your 3 cups of berries (that you purchased from Taylor's Produce, of course) and set them aside.

Next, put 1 cup of the berries in a pan with 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar and 2 T cornstarch that was dissolved in 2 T of warm water. Let it come to a boil, then turn it back to simmer right away. The heat will cause the berries to burst (I also mashed mine a little to help them along.)

 Let it simmer until it gets thicker, and is all blueberry color. (as pictured below) 

Mix the remaining 2 cups of berries with the cooked berries and then pour into your tart shell.

You are ready to eat! I stuck mine in the fridge and it made it super refreshing. It got thumbs up from everyone who ate it!
Based on a recipe I found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment